Saturday, October 2, 2010

B.A.L.I – Brilliant. Aesthetic. Laudable. Inviting

It was my first time in many ways; first long flight (though I flew from Cochin to Chennai just a couple of days earlier, a short one though, but thanks to my brother in law!), first trip abroad and of course my honeymoon. Laugh out Loud :)

We took a 5.5 hour break in Bangkok because my husband felt I should experience an international airport; check out the many duty free shops and so on. Though I don’t have much to pen about those hours, the Cream Factory’s ice cream was delicious to the power n!

We touched the island of Bali aka Denpasar Airport at about 2pm. I expected this cool breeze touching my face but I was welcomed by the ‘incense’ of cigarettes! I am not kidding! But then our guide gave us a very warm welcome with garlands of Firangi paani. He wanted to be called Mr. Putu; looked 50 something and I immediately took to liking him! Extremely professional and quick he was.

We drove to the Benoa Beach Villa and Spa located at Tanjung Benoa Nusa Dua. It’s a short drive from the airport, say about 20 minutes or so. Oh by the way, we got this deal from ‘makemytrip’ and a good one too! The 4 day 3 night stay included our flight tickets, stay at the hotel, breakfast and dinner, a one day sightseeing of Bali and a day where we could pick from a list. Don’t remember what it offered but we chose to go to a spa, quite but obviously!

The Beach Villa is outstanding to say the least. They have extremely well maintained rooms with a lovely swimming pool overlooking the beach. The beach; words fail to explain the relaxed atmosphere and the buzz created by the water sports enthusiasts alike! The in house restaurant has a decent spread/menu and my husband, a non-vegetarian, had more choice obviously! He raved about the traditional Balinese chicken with coconut sauce and I loved the dessert made from pineapples and spices!

Bali’s economy is primarily dependant on agriculture and tourism. They have no industries and hence no pollution, Mr. Putu claimed! They eat whatever they produce that suffices. To give you an example – Mr. Putu said the Balinese farmers produce first grade rice and use it for their own consumption. They also produce a second grade rice which they mainly use to export to Java.

The next day, our guide took us to the Batik Centre of Bali and it is a must stop. The place costs of having traditional Balinese batik prints both handmade and woven, the latter being more expensive. One can shop quite a bit here! From there we stopped a phenomenally expensive wood carver’s showroom! Beautiful carvings no doubt! They are again mostly exported. This reminds me of the book ‘Eat Pray Love’ I read after returning to India where the author mentions foreigners who come to Bali and stay for a long time make money by helping exporting such carvings and furniture.

Next we go the famous Kintamani volcano which is said to be active as yet. The last eruption took place in 1976. We stop here for lunch at a restaurant which overlooks the volcanic mountain and it sure is a sight to behold! Most of the table cloth was on our filled plates, courtesy the strong breeze, but I don’t think any of the diners minded! Again, being a vegetarian doesn’t help as I had only noodles to eat and of course a range of desserts from fried bananas to a black rice pudding!

From there we head to a garden growing spices and a variety of fruits! The most interesting experience of my trip was in this very garden. Atleast till that day I was not aware of something called the ‘Coffee Luwak’. Luwak is a monkey, a special monkey which picks and consumes the Arabica coffee beans. The next day, it excretes the same in the same form (as a whole bean!), which is later washed, dried, roasted and ground to make a tasty coffee powder. One cup of it cost us $5 for all the pain they take in collecting the s&*$ of the monkey!!! This whole procedure may sound unpleasant but the taste of the coffee is far from it!

We then stopped at a market in Ubud which also houses a Balinese palace. Nothing out of ordinary to speak of; lot of junk jewellery made from silver, Balinese sarongs, scarves and so on. If I have to mention something special then it must be the exclusive bead store with a creative collection of original gem stones and other beaded jewellery. I spent most of my time there.

Now comes the thrilling part – water sports! I am one of those with an extremely less dose of the adrenaline hormone, much to the chagrin of my husband. We went to this place called the ‘Pandawa Water Sports’ and we tried the banana boat, flying fish and donnut boat. The banana boat is common, so I am not explaining what it is. The flying fish is apparently a specialty in Bali. A stingray like boat is shaped for two people to lie down amidst tubes and another guy accompanies us. He literally stands upright on that boat! Check pictures of Google as my explanation maybe inadequate. Frankly, I loved this one. The ‘flying fish’ is tied to another motor boat and the latter takes off at great speed. It later twists and turns and the aiding wind makes our ‘fish fly’, literally!

The ‘donnut boat’ as described by the name is a donut shaped boat and we are made to sit on it. Again, it is tied to another speeding boat and we do a 360 degree turn in the sea. But that was all I could take. I played a spoilsport by not throwing myself into water during the banana boat so my husband had to redo it the following day.

The following day was a full moon day and apparently that day was all the more special for Hindus, just like in India. So most water sports clubs were closed and we surprisingly found the one at our beach open. It was run by non-Hindus and so I chose to paraglide while my husband had another dose of the flying fish. He badly wanted to sea dive and watch the underwater creatures but it is said that those catching a flight on the same day are not allowed.

Check this link to know why:

I then got a temporary tattoo done! I badly want to get a permanent one done, so just to please myself momentarily, I settle down for the temporary one.

Leaving is not so difficult but not so easy either! I was longing to see my mom and close friends so I look forward but then the culture of Bali is so similar to ours (India) along with this really laid back attitude which makes you want to stay longer. Overall, the deal by makemytrip was good, our guide is definitely recommended and my memories just bring me happiness!

Bali is known for its night life but somehow I was not up to it. That maybe something I genuinely missed out on but that’s ok. Once I got back, I read ‘Eat Pray Love’ and learnt a lot more things about Bali. I am planning to pen another blog particularly on the similarities between the Balinese culture and the Hindu culture in India. This may take time because I have to remember what all my guide told me and right now it’s all messed up :)

2 comments:

BK Chowla, said...

Very impressed.It almost gives a feeling of one being there oneself.
Wish you had posted some pictures too.

Krithika Chandrashekar said...

Thanks a lot sir! Will post some pictures for sure!