Thursday, March 22, 2012

Panacea

Born into a traditional south Indian family, there was no choice but to enrol in some art form. Music and/or dance had to be a vital part of my life. And so, when I turned 5, my mother promptly enrolled me in both music and dance classes. Loved dance the instant I put those little anklets on. However, music was another story all together. I still remember, the pet used to be called Daffy and I’d hate to be in its vicinity and to top that, I had to sing the same thing again and again. It took me a while to realise that I’d been blessed with a wonderful, patient teacher. But at that age, who even thought about people and their value in our lives?

My mom who loves me to bits (whose mom doesn’t!? Duh!), had to ‘throw a bomb’ at me after a few months. “Krithika, you’re a girl. You cannot dance forever; you will get married, have children…” which indirectly meant I’d become FAT and that dance won’t look good! “So it’s going to be only music for you from now on”. I felt let down (whatever that meant to a 5 year old). But I supposedly had a natural talent and picked up quite fast. It seems when I was 2, I’d run out while my mom was at her artistic best (rangoli drawing) and sing loudly which could be heard in my neighbouring flat too. An uncle would call out to his wife and say that the apartment’s Lata Mangeshkar was there and that she should come and listen to me!!! Wow! Too much! But when my mom told me this, I finally decided to put my heart into it. Not that I practiced, but I managed to attend classes regularly and also tried to be nice with Daffy; the only pet I ever went close to (The only other pet I’ve petted is my friend’s – Scooby boy, the simple and laid back lab. This happened when I was like 17!!).


All this history is to acknowledge my humble step towards understanding and most importantly enjoying music. Since my father is deaf and mute, my mom was always fearful that I’d be born that way. But the person above who is directing us all, decided to send me down normally and my mom was not going to let me away like that. I was a prized possession and she always said that God gave me this talent to compensate for what my dad didn’t have. I feel so emotional when my father places his hands on my vocal chords to ‘feel’ my voice. But the pride in his eyes is heart warming indeed!

So yes, as usual I digress quite a bit but I’ll try to come back to what I am meaning to write. Music – tough to define what it is but I can definitely write about what it does to me. It is a panacea of sorts. When I am happy, I always listen to Rahman; when sad it has to be Ilayaraja’s classics and when contemplative, it has to be a soothing Rag. I generally listen to Ustad Rashid Khan ‘cause his voice does something to me. My husband’s slowly introducing me to western music – country, hard rock and so on. Even that kind of music for sure has a positive effect.

Music gifted me with the best of friends, a music team in which I found some talented, grounded, knowledgeable brothers and sisters, the best teachers and even my life partner. It was because of the music in me that my better half decided to take the plunge! And now, my broken leg is healing only because of the hours of music running in my ears and calming me down.

So, why this blog now? I was reading this month’s issue of Reader’s Digest (HK) which had an article on music’s healing powers and I realised that Ayurveda mentions of music therapy and how several Indian classical ragas have medicinal benefits. Thanks to time – which came to me for free ;), I decided to pick some of my favourite ragas which I listen to and sing often. I will try to provide some links of songs under the ragas and also what they help in curing.

Before I begin, I’d like to make sure that I cannot validate if they really cure diseases per say, but it definitely alleviates one’s mood  Also, I am familiar with Tamil movie songs more than any other language; Hindi comes next. So, the following list will feature these 2 languages. Now that I listen to Malayalam songs, I must say that the movie songs in Malayalam are highly classical based and extremely beautiful compositions. You can find raga based film songs in practically every Indian language you want. Hence this is just a nibble of this and that.

1. Raga: Ahir Bhairav (Chakravaka in Carnatic)
This rag is sung in the morning between 6 and 9am. It is said to cure issues relating to indigestion and hypertension. My most favourite compositions in this raga:
• Movie: Muthu, Song: Vidugathaya, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Karnan, Song: Ullathil nalla ullam, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Keladi Kanmani, Song: Nee paadhi naan paadhi, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Song: Albela Sajan, Language: Hindi
• Movie: Morning Raga, Song: Pibare Ramarasam
• Movie: Mandhira Punnagai, Song: Enna Kuraiyo, Language: Tamil
2. Raga: Sindhu Bhairavi (Bhairavi in Hindustani)
This rag is chosen as a concluding rag in most concerts. It is said to cure issues relating to sinuses, also helps in bringing in calmness to the mind. In short, it denotes peace and tranquillity. My favourite compositions in this raga:
• The first song which comes to mind is Mile Sur Mere Tumhara, the famous song denoting India’s national integration and unity in diversity. It’s on YouTube! I like the original version obviously, so my recommendation would be the original 
• Movie: Sindhu Bhairavi, Song: Naanoru Sindhu, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Simla Special, Song: Unakkenna mele nindrai, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Enga ooru paatukkaran, Song: Shenbagame, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Yejaman, Song: Oru naalum unnai maravada, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Satya, Song: Valai osai, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Punnagai Mannan, Song: Enna saththam, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Chinna Gounder, Song: Mutthu mani maala, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Kudrat, Song: Hamein tumse pyaar, Language: Hindi
• Movie: Mera naam Joker, Song: Jeena yahaan, Language: Hindi
• Movie: Dil hi to hai, Song: Laaga chunari mein daag, Language: Hindi
3. Raga: Darbari Kanada
This rag is said to be an important one sung in the evening/night. It supposedly cures headache and asthma. My favourite compositions in this raga:
• Movie: Mounam Sammadham, Song: Kalyana thenila, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Arangetra Velai, Song: Aahaaya Vennilave, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Sathi Leelavathi, Song: Marugo Marugo, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Karna, Song: Malare Mounama, Language: Tamil
• Since I grew up listening to a lot of Tamil songs, I am not aware of compositions in Hindi. There will be several wonderful ones and I will try and post some when I find them
4. Raga: Kaapi
This rag is derived from Raga Karaharapriya and is said to induce devotion and sometimes pathos. To me, it is always associated with lullabies. It calms you down instantly and makes you want to descend into a silent slumber. It cures issues relating to depression, anxiety and is also said to reduce absent mindedness. My favourite compositions in this raga:
• Song: Enna thavam seidhanai, Language: Tamil, Genre: Devotional
• Song: Jagadhodharana, Language: Kannada, Genre: Devotional
• Movie: Priya, Song: Hey! Paadal Ondru, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Roja, Song: Kadhal Rojave, Language: Tamil
5. Raga: Kedar
This rag is named after Lord Shiva and is one of my most favourite raga for its intricacy. Kedar is sung in the night and helps easing headaches, cold, cough and asthma. Compositions in this raga:
• Movie: Karnan, Song: En uyir thozhi, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Nayagan, Song: Nee oru kadhal sangeetham, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Indira, Song: Nila Kaaygirathu, Language: Tamil
• Movie: Ek Musafir Ek Hasina, Song: Aap yun hi agar humse, Language: Hindi
• Movie: Guddi, Song: Hum ko man ki shakthi, Language: Hindi
6. Raga: Madhuvanthi
This one is my MOST favourite rag! Intoxicates me every single time I listen to it. It is a romantic raga  An early evening raga, and is sung between 4 and 8pm. Madhuvanthi is said to heal piles. A few compositions in this raga:
• Movie: Kanda naal mudhal, Song: Kanda naal mudhal, Language: Tamil. Being a devotional song, you can listen to the classical version sung by several Indian classical vocalists
• Movie: Rosapoo ravikkaikaari, Song: Ennulil engo, Language: Tamil
Found only 2!! Maybe it is because I listen to a lot of this raga sung by the classical vocalists – the purest form!
7. Raga: Nat Bhairav
This is another favourite of mine as my Guru, Pt. Sri. Vishwanath Nakod , has composed a beautiful Surdas bhajan in this rag. I’m hoping to record it and upload it soon. A morning raga, Nat Bhairav is said to cure indigestion, headache and also help those with psychological disorders.
• Movie: Sathi Leelavathi, Song: Rajanodu rani, Language: Tamil
• Check out the Hindustani compositions online!
8. Raga: Puriya Dhanashree
Since this rag is sung at the time of transition from afternoon to evening, it is also called the Sandhiprakash raga. It creates an intense mood be it fear, compassion or romance. Puriya Dhanashree is said to help those who are anaemic, prevents acidity and also evokes a stable state of mind.
• Movie: Rangeela, Song: Hai Rama, Language: Hindi
• Movie: Ninaivellam Nithya, Song: Rojavai thaalaatum, Language: Tamil

There are umpteen ragas to choose from and each has its own magic. I’ve penned about just a few. Go on and explore this wonderful world!

4 comments:

Arun said...

Very well written. Amazing! i could just visualize what you went through. I pray for speed recovery. God bless you!

Krithika Chandrashekar said...

Thank you very much :)

Dr.G.Bharathy said...

very well written krithika! very ineresting read! even i have noted certain ragas as remedy for certain ailments! it used to come in Jaya TV morning in YOGA slot. That Yoga Master name was Karthik!!

Krithika Chandrashekar said...

Super aunty! I will take the list from you :) Miss u guys!