Monday, March 19, 2012

Time for free!

We have all heard quotes and sayings about how not to take anything for granted in life and here I am, writing about just how I did ; not intentionally though. Moving to two countries in less than a year is no cakewalk but things went smoothly and in September, we moved to Hong Kong. Initially language looked like a huge menace but then I somehow got used to it.

When in Singapore, being unemployed was such a pain and I had so much time to kill. Thankfully in HK, I managed to find things to do, be employed and was enjoying all the free time I was getting. Being a homemaker, one generally does not realise how much work we do; starting from making a hot cup of coffee to making the bed before hitting the sack. Normal chores everyday but things we usually take for granted. Not that I am complaining about it, but I enjoy doing it. When you live in a clean home, you feel clean within. I also found so much happiness standing atop the marble slab and looking down from the 38th floor to take in the wonderful sight outside my window. A jump on top and back down – that’s all it took.

And then, 2 weeks back, it happened. I was extremely thrilled to have met friends from my hometown and speaking the local language itself was a pleasure all right! After a couple of hours of good food and drink, great conversation and generally a great time, we walked out to satisfy our sweet teeth (tooth for many?!) Bam! I’m down on my derriere with my ankle right under it! What a sight! The look on my husband’s face spelt – Drunk? Gosh no!

There was no looking back or rather there was no looking at how my ankle was ‘blooming’! Then, the usual story of being diagnosed with a multiple fracture and the wonderful news of being arrested for 6 weeks by a few sheets of plastic of Paris! I enjoy my free time all right, but here time was thrusting itself upon me saying, “I am for free, take me!”

I thought things which we get for free are never given up and freebees are always what we look out for. But two weeks into it, I am despising it. The 38th floor view has not vanished, but I can’t stand atop the slab anymore. I have to watch someone else do the cleaning and cooking. The clean home looks like a house now and I so feel unclean within. They say it’s like an extended holiday and I must put my feet up (literally!) and relax. Oh no! No more feet up please, and no more relaxing for me. I am so done. When I see the ladies head to the market, I feel jealous; when I see joggers and walkers on the running trail, I want to be there too. The’ things to do list’ gets longer only when you are NOT allowed to do anything! I can’t even go to the store to pick my favourite ice-cream.

Never gave a second thought to small pleasures of life. It just occurred and I enjoyed it. Now, this is all I yearn for. Even my writing looks rusty just like my back which has rested too long. Gosh! I can write so much better, but it’s all I can come up with. Dull, mundane, lifeless lines… But I can’t complain – one thing I can do with my feet up!

No comments: